Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Environment Vs. Bottomline

A ban on plastic bags
I shop for fresh produce at the Dekalb International Farmer’s market or at a renowned national chain of Indian grocery stores. They usually carry specific vegetables/ groceries that I do not find elsewhere. I make it a point to carry my own bags there and often get a chuckle from the staff that’s doing the bagging.
When I shop for fruits or veggies in most markets in Mumbai, I don’t get a plastic bag unless I pay for it. Or then I get the produce in my own bag or wrapped up in newspaper. There is a ban on plastic bags there. This has often confused me. In Mumbai, I have to pay for a bag which reminds me that I am being wasteful. Conversely, in Decatur, I am made fun of when I carry my own bags or give back the plastic bags.

I decided to see if my designer self can affect a change. I wanted to reach out to the store manager and inquire why they won’t stop giving away plastic bags? I offered my services to help them run a campaign to encourage people to bring their own bags.
After been lead from assistant manager to manager to the national chain owner, I knew I had hit the jackpot. If there was someone who could make a difference, this guy in Chicago would be it. I explained to him at the beginning of the conversation about how bad the bags were for the environment. How a leading store like theirs could set an example for the rest of the Indian businesses to follow. I even tried to appeal to the businessman saying that the demographic in a progressive place like Decatur would be attracted to a store that uses paper bags or then charges for plastic ones. Especially when he was soon to compete with Sprouts or Whole Foods. His answer was simple. He said, “We attempted at giving cloth bags but people leave them home or use them for gifting and then come back for plastic. Some even argue and ask for extra bags so they can use them as trash bags at home. Squabbles with customers affects my hourly flow at the register and I cannot let that happen. My stores in California don’t give out plastic bags, legislation requires them not to. Until GA does that, I cannot help it. Some customers also take the grocery in boxes which we happily provide. But until I cannot use legislation as a response to customers, I will have to give out plastic bags. I’m sorry.”

Ban on styrofoam containers

Why is it that when I leave with a fragrant to-go parcel on a tired Friday evening at one of my favorite Indian joints, I leave with a little guilt packed along with the fluffy naans and the spicy Hyderabadi lentil curry? The food is all packed in styrofoam boxes and containers. I have offered to bring in my own utensils which is not admissible either.

I have asked various Indian restaurants but they refuse to move away from styrofoam. Again, quoting the lack of legislation. Why is it that I have to choose between being environmentally friendly, culturally Indian or financially savvy when I live in a progressive country?

No comments:

Post a Comment